Skip to Content
Saved Flights

Your Saved Flights

No Saved Flights

Brexit FAQs

Travelling to and from the United Kingdom since leaving the European Union (EU)

The United Kingdom (UK) is no longer a member state of the European Union (EU), which means there have been some changes to passport requirements, travelling with pets and customs allowances.

It’s important you have a valid passport to travel and all necessary visas. ID cards will no longer be accepted as a valid travel document to enter the UK, though some exemptions do apply. UK and EU citizens may use the eGates at passport control.

If you’re a tourist with a UK passport or a passport issued by Gibraltar, Guernsey, the Isle of Man or Jersey, you will not need a visa for short trips to most EU countries, including Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. You’ll be entitled to stay for up to 90 days in any 180-day period. 

Depending on where you are travelling to and from, you may need up to six months before the expiry date on your passport. To find out exactly what you need, visit the passport rules for travel to Europe.

You may want to take your beloved ferret on holiday with you or bring home a rescue cat or dog from Cyprus. If you do, the British government provides a step-by-step guide to ensure you have all the correct documentation. 

Advice on taking pets abroad

Please note: Different airlines have different rules of carriage, so speak to them before you book. Airlines must accept all assistance dogs for air travel without charge.

There are limits on the amount of alcohol, tobacco products and fragrances you are allowed to bring into the UK for personal use. Also, there are some food items which are either restricted or banned. We strongly recommend you visit the government website for customs allowances to find out what you can and can’t bring in, and from where.

You are advised to get travel insurance prior to travelling. The good news is, the European Health Insurance Card scheme (EHIC) remains in place.

It allows anyone who is insured by or covered by a statutory social security scheme of the EEA countries and Switzerland to receive medical treatment in another member state free or at a reduced cost. The EEA includes the UK.

if you reside in the UK, apply for your EHIC here.