Hold luggage banned items
For safety reasons, the following items cannot be taken on to an aircraft. Please do not pack them in either hand baggage or hold luggage.
- Flammable liquids and solids
- Oxidisers such as bleaching powders
- Organic peroxides
- Tear gas devices or any gas cylinders
- Infectious substances such as live virus materials
- Wet-cell car batteries
- Magnetrons. Instruments containing mercury
- Instruments containing magnets
- Fireworks and pyrotechnics
- Non-safety matches
- Fire lighter, lighter fuel, paints, thinners
- Poisons, arsenic, cyanide, weedkiller
- Radioactive materials, acids, corrosives, alkalis, caustic soda
- Creosote, quicklime, oiled paper
- Vehicle fuel system components which have contained fuel
- Explosives, ammunition, detonators and related equipment
- Smoke canisters and smoke cartridges.
To avoid bags becoming jammed on the conveyor belt, please ensure that:
- All loose straps are tied up or removed.
- All flaps are securely fastened.
- Extendable handles are retracted or secured.
- Old tags and barcodes are removed.
When deciding what to pack and what to carry as hand baggage, please bear the following in mind:
- Don’t wrap gifts. Security staff may wish to view them, and so may unwrap them.
- Consider putting a change of clothes, or at least underwear and a spare shirt, into your hand baggage. It can mean a little extra comfort at the end of a long-haul flight, or if hold baggage is delayed.
- Never carry anything on to an aircraft for anyone else.