Request assistance at Heathrow
If you have an impairment or mobility difficulties, you may require additional assistance at the airport. Even if you are fairly mobile there can be long distances to travel. Here's what you should do to ensure you get the help you need.Expand all Collapse all
Before you leave home
Under European legislation, your airline is responsible when you are on board the aircraft. Heathrow is responsible for providing special assistance at the airport. Therefore, please book all assistance through your airline (your airline’s website will contain details of how to do this). Heathrow Airport cannot book additional assistance.
- Please inform your airline, tour operator or travel agent of your particular requirement at the time of booking, or at least 48 hours before your travel. Try to give as much notice as possible so we can make the arrangements. If you haven't booked we will do our best to assist you, but will always give priority to passengers who have booked in advance.
- Your assistance requirement will be passed to our service provider, Omniserv.
- You should also inform your airline, tour operator or travel agent if you intend to take your own mobility device (such as a wheelchair or scooter).
Assistance is available for all age groups, including young travellers.
You should have received check-in instructions with your booking. If you can't find them, your airline or travel agent will be able to help. However, as a general guide you should plan to arrive at the airport:
- Long-haul and El Al: three hours before scheduled departure
- UK and European flights: two hours before scheduled departure.
When you get to the airport you'll always find help in the following areas:
Car parks, stations and terminal forecourts
Assistance help points for all those travelling with a disability or mobility difficulties are located in various locations, including; terminal forecourts, car parks and both Heathrow Express and London Underground stations. Please use a help point to request assistance to the terminal building. Alternatively please call the assistance team directly on 020 8757 2700 to arrange for support from your vehicle or drop off location.
Inside the terminal
There are special assistance areas within the terminals located at the following areas:
- Terminal 2: before security Departures Level, behind Zone C (near Security)
- Terminal 2: after security: adjacent to children's play area and B-gates
- Terminal 3: before security: First floor, above Check-in Zones A and B
- Terminal 3: after security: Additional seating area, behind World Duty Free
- Terminal 4: before security: Check-in Zone B, next to Excess Baggage
- Terminal 4: after security: Serenity Lounge, left of Costa Coffee
- Terminal 5: before security: Check-in Zone G and Zone A
- Terminal 5: after security: The Lichfield Suite opposite Gate A21
More help points
Please use our interactive map to find help point locations in and around our terminals.
Guide dogs can only travel if they are registered with the Pet Travel Scheme and your airline and holiday destination. More information about travelling with pets is available at www.defra.gov.uk.
Q: Do I need any additional documentation?
A: Not at all, just have your passport and ticket or boarding pass at hand.
Q: I don't have an impairment but would like help
A: You could try our Airport Meet and Assist service. Call +44 (0)20 8745 6011 to find out more. If you just need help with luggage, porters are available on the same number.
Heathrow Airport Limited
The Compass Centre,
Nelson Road, Hounslow
Middlesex, TW6 2GW
Telephone information service (24 hours): +44 344 335 1000
D'Albiac House (Room 2047)
Cromer Road, Heathrow Airport
Middlesex TW6 1SD
Omniserv, our service provider, will ensure that the assistance you require is made available. Assistance can be provided from your arrival at the airport through to your airline lounge (if eligible) and then on to your departing aircraft. Omniserv will meet you on your return from your aircraft and accompany you to your waiting friends and relatives or to your onward transport. All assistance is provided free of charge.
Service level agreements
We are committed to providing the highest level of service in a timely manner.
View our service level agreements (PDF format)