Heathrow is the largest UK port by value and our ambition is to become one of Europe’s best airports for cargo. We have listened to our customers and developed a cargo strategy that will take us there.
Our customers have told us about the bottlenecks caused by some of the infrastructure, inefficient facilities and processes that are slower and more arduous than those of our European competitors. Our stakeholders rate us as poor for our facilities and value for money.
Our cargo strategy will lift freight volumes to 3 million tonnes a year by 2040 through improved service and increased capacity from a third runway. With two runways or three, for cargo customers our aim is to become a trusted partner – timely, reliable and easy to do business with.
Our plan for cargo
- Halve current throughput times to be more efficient
- Make cargo throughput times predictable to reduce costs
- Grow cargo capacity at the airport to generate additional cargo volumes for our airline partners
- Work with the cargo community, including through engagement and discussion
- Be 100% e-freight compliant to reduce waste, costs and delays
- Be a great airport of choice for cargo
- Provide a safe working environment.
If you are looking for more information download our Cargo Strategy (3MB PDF)
Watch Nick Platts, our Head of Cargo, explaining how Heathrow is the UK's busiest cargo port by value.