Working with local communities
For communities affected by aircraft noise, effective engagement with the airport operator is an essential component of tackling the problem – helping communities to understand the challenge of aircraft noise better and what is being done to address it, and providing residents with the opportunity to actively shape the policies and procedures that are put in place to tackle it.
Heathrow will engage openly and constructively with local communities to understand their concerns and provide accessible information and an on-going dialogue.
Our commitments are to:
- aim to continually improve our global ranking for community engagement on aircraft noise, benchmarked by independent analysis. We will achieve this by:
- improving our communications to provide timely, relevant information including daily web updates and the use of computer animations;
- extending our outreach programme, running regular meetings with communities around the airport to explain how we are managing noise at Heathrow; and
- launching a new social media service to keep people updated on unscheduled changes to operations which impact on noise.
- continue to improve the timely handling of complaints about noise from residents, building on existing investment we have made in this area.
- produce proposals for the ‘independent regulation’ of noise to help build trust in the management of noise at Heathrow.